Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer Rotation

Now that I am two weeks into my five week rotation, I am starting to get a feel for how I would fit in with the lab dynamic.  I can't say for sure that this is my thesis lab, but that is not surprising since I don't like to make decisions without trying a few options.  Part of figuring out whether I will enjoy being in the lab is observing the intellectual discourse.  Part of this involves going to lab meetings and keeping my ears open.  I also plan to attend my first journal club meeting next week.  That gives me another opportunity to feel out the lab's scientific fit while meeting other labs.  Of course, any and all interactions with lab members help me to determine how well I belong within the micro-culture.


A little piece of Greece
Outside of the lab, I've nearly finished settling into my new apartment (which means my shiny rug from Greece can finally see the light of day).  For school-owned housing, I am quite satisfied with the amount of space.  However, I still hope to move out next year into a bigger space where I have more control over the decor and layout.  Since I received a furnished apartment, I will have to be careful about saving money for a big furniture shopping spree next year.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Glad to see that you're settling into LA, and awesome idea on posting a bit about your adventures. If I get to SoCal this year or next, let's do an east cost reunite/meetup! However, I also have a feeling that you'll be back in the neighborhood soon enough (you will be coming home for an occasional holiday, right?). I think I still owe you a bubble tea?

    ReplyDelete