Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shortest Presentation Ever

Yesterday, I gave my shortest scientific presentation ever during lab meeting.

Slide 1: method part 1
Slide 2: method part 2
Slide 3: OMG, WE TRIED ALL THESE THINGS BUT WHY IS IT STILL NOT WORKING???


I got a much better sense of the PI's style of mentorship through the discussion that followed. I feel like this lab has now definitely made the cut for PhD lab. The PI and other lab members gave thoughtful suggestions without condescension. There is no assumption that you did something incorrectly when asking for verification. I believe that I will receive proper scientific training here. I'm still not sure about how invested the PI is in the future scientific career of the lab members; given that he encourages and helps people to apply for grants sand fellowships, I am not too worried. Of course, final decisions will be made after rotation #2. The lab dynamic and projects will also change between now and two years later, so that will be taken into consideration. Of course, I will be keeping in touch with the lab so that I can keep an eye on the changes. It is reassuring that I have one good lab and am on target for not doing a third rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment