Thursday, August 18, 2011

Doctoring I

Today, I was the very first student in our Doctoring (how to make patients comfortable while getting information) class to interview a standarized patient.

My patient was a 20 year old male with complaints of sore throat and mild fever.  The interview started out with him giving one word answers and leaning back in a disengaged manner.  It was a process which ended with covering most of the medical history and also history of present illness with some hopping around to fill in the blanks (need more practice!).  I was most proud of how we were actually have a conversation at the end, with a little bit of laughter and chatting.  I was happy to see that he was sitting forward, volunteering information, and making his visit easier for the both of us.  Patient review mentioned that he felt comfortable and that I was very invested in his care (super proud!).

1 comment: