Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

Saturday
I tried to make flan for the first time today with the following ingredients: 1 cup sugar, 3 large eggs, 14 oz. condensed sweetened milk, and 13 oz. evaporated non-fat milk.  The result (after 60 instead of 45 minutes of baking at 350F) was a gooey mess that TASTED like super-sweet flan, but was totally the wrong consistency.  My conclusion is that the eggs were not large enough and that less sweetened condensed milk relative to regular milk is better.  The recipe also made enough for roughly 5-6 people with my level of sugar tolerance, so probably 7-8 normal human beings.  (And as I learned in class, normal being the top of the bell curve of 70% surveyed.)

I had a headache all day (caffein-addiction predisposition is showing after having morning tea everyday this week), so only some reviewing got done.  On a more productive note, I cleaned the stove, vacuumed the floors, and did several loads of laundry so that I can study in a happier environment during the rest of the weekend.

Sunday

A number of M1 students went to the Empress Pavilion today for dimsum.  The food was delicious, but a bit too heavy on oil and cholestrol for me.  We also got into a debate about the level of oversight needed for MSTP students.  The gist of the issue seem to be that the MSTP is not the pride and joy of the medical school; this translates to less political clout.  My roommate went with us, and her conclusion was that there are some whiny brats in the program.  I have to say that I cannot disagree with this opinion on a significant level.  However, we did set the agenda for our class meeting in a week, so the outing was productive even outside of the munchies.

Monday

For Labor Day, we went to Harajuku Crepe for brunch.  I had one savory and one sweet crepe before heading back to do some individual studying.

Savory Crepe: Ham, Egg, and Cheese

Sweet Crepe: Strawberry, Azuki (Red Bean), Goma (Black Sesame) Ice Cream

1 comment:

  1. I had the best flan last year at Psychogenics' lab party. Looking forward to yours this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete